Sunday, November 12, 2017

Blog 4

Reflection
Understanding English Language Learners:
Since English is my second language, I can understand how ELLs think when they learn English in a classroom environment.  According to Brown and Lee (2015) the knowledge I learned from this course, I learned there are the differences between teaching young ELLs and adult ELLs. For the adult, according to these scholars “they have superior cognitive abilities that can make them more successful in certain classroom endeavors (Brown & Lee, 2015, p.117).”  When teachers teach children in English, they need to think about their intellectual development, attention span, sensory input, affective factors, and authentic, meaningful language (Brown & Lee, 2015, p.110-113).
Strategies and Techniques to instruct and assess ELLs:
From this course, I learned many methods and strategies for teaching English. I think about the ESL courses that I have taken before; I can identify what methods my ESL teachers used right now.  My English teachers in my country would like to choose translation methods to teach English.  It is an effective way of teaching language, but it is a teacher-centered classroom focused around memorization of grammatical rules and exercises.  However, students will have a lack of expereince speaking in English and feel bored in the classes.  After taking this course, I learned that teaching English based on proficiency levels, should care about students’ background, introduce culture and sociopolitical contexts, use different instructions for different levels, and so on.  Before ESL teachers teach a lesson to students, they need to choose instructions according to different levels in their classroom.  Next, it is important to prepare materials that are related to ELL’s background and age.  For example, teachers can know about students’ home language and prepare information that your students may understand in the class. In ESL teachers’ lesson plan, they always need to modify different instructions and have modifications for ELLs.
Teaching philosophy:
At the beginning of this course, I said my teaching philosophy is to practice.  After I learned about ELLs and how to teach ELLs, I think practice is not the only way to teach.  It is also important for teachers to teach individually, or individualize the experience for each student.  Everyone has different needs, so they need different methods for them to learn.  This course forces me to think about research articles.  When teachers require students to learn new knowledge, they should know it is important for them, as teachers to learn more new methods as well.  On the other hand, I learned that sometimes it is not easy for teachers to plan lessons alone, so they can have peer coaching, team teaching, collaborative curriculum development and revision, presenting at a professional conference, joining a professional association of teachers, and informal local teacher support groups (Brown & Lee, 2015, P.560-563).  I like the ESL teacher interview assignment, because it allows us to know about ESL students.  After we watched everyone’s interview, we can understand what kinds of methods ESL teachers would like to use right now.  We know about different ESL programs they have.  In the future classroom, I may not become an ESL teacher, but I think I know how to help ELLs to learn knowledge.  I would like to become an bilingual certificated teacher in the future.  I think this course helped me understand how to learn another language.
Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (2015). Teaching by principles: an interactive approach to 
language pedagogy (4th ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Longman. 

15 comments:

  1. Wei, I really enjoyed being able to hear your point of view being that English is your second language. When I am asked to write about how an ELL student feels about certain things, I can only go off of observations because my first language is English so I cannot fully understand how the students feel. However, I am glad to see how you feel and can acknowledge the students who are ELL’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Briana, I can understand your view of teaching ELLs. Sometimes it is a good view for me as an English language learner to think how to teach ELLs. For example, I can fully understand how important to motivate students in learning a language, so it is not enough only teacher-centered classroom.

      Delete
  2. Hi Wei,

    I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on providing individualism in the classroom. I as well think this is an important factor to teaching ELL’s. When classrooms have a wide range of diversity in their student’s language and academic proficiency, teachers should not provide all the students with the exact same curricular materials, lessons, and instruction (Wright, pg. 265). I like where you gave the example that the teacher can know about the student's home language and prepare the ELL student's work so that they can better understand the material. I believe that before every year begins, a teacher should become familiar with the students they are getting ready to teach for the next 10 months and become familiar with any accommodations that will be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jessica, I am so glad that we have the same idea that teacher needs to know about student's home language. It is important to know different ELL's background and their culture so that teachers can understand how to communicate with them and improve their learning in English.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Wei.

    I agree with what you said about preparing related materials related to the student's background and age. It is of utmost importance for an educator to ensure they plan their lessons accordingly and ensuring it focuses on all of the students' needs. Building upon this idea, preparing in general is very important and it gives the teacher a base for what to teach. However, similar to how the teacher prepares to ensure maximum efficiency, it is also important to plan for the unexpected. It is important to also prepare with a plan B.

    I also agree with you that students should have their instruction tailored to fit their needs. Teachers should provide differentiated instruction in order to provide for their individual student's needs (Wright, 2015, p. 265). I believe that in order for an educator to provide differentiated instruction, the educator must stay up-to-date with new methods based on research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Erika, thank you for giving me ideas in planning for the unexpected in a lesson. I think it is necessary to do an assessment before I give students lessons so that I can know about students' needs. I can depend on different needs to have differentiated instruction to students.

      Delete
  4. Hi Wei!
    Learning about your perspective as an English Language Learner yourself was very interesting! With you being an adult, it is a learning curve and a different perspective. I think that modifying textbooks and instructional methods should apply to you as well as children who are English Language Learners (Wright, pg. 267).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, you are right, the modifying textbooks and instructional methods gave me a view in a professional way to think about how to teach ELLs. After I learned knowledge in this course, I can understand the type of methods my English teacher used and the weakness in the ESL classes I took before.

      Delete
  5. Wei, I really enjoyed reading your entry and hearing things from your perspective. I learned English when I was young, but it seems pretty different when you learn it as an adult. I really liked that you touched on how it is important to prepare materials that is related to an ELL’s background and age because I feel that it is important to do that because then you’ll be able to really reach a student where they are at. With lesson planning, it should aim to reach the majority of students in the class who fall under the “average” ability range but the lesson must take into account the variation in ability amongst the students and the only why a teacher would be able to do that is if they are conscious about their ELL’s background and age (Brown & Lee, 2015, p. 205).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chenda, I learned English when I was 10 years old. Since my English teacher used a grammar-translation method and they did not motivate students in learning a second language, I did not really like it, so I know how important to motivate students in learning a second language. I think teachers' teaching style will be effective students' thinking in learning.

      Delete
  6. I would love to have been an ELL student myself so that I could better teach my ELL students. Having been an ELL student will serve you greatly in your practice. What topics or aspects of the course do you think should be altered? I love how Dr. Avellaneda assigned us this blog assignment. It creates a safe place for us to discuss our genuine thoughts and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kaela, I would like to say I really like the modified lesson plan. Through this modified lesson plan, I learned how to write a lesson plan to ELLs. In the modified lesson plan, I need to think about the related to ELLs problems, such as culture, methods, materials, and so on. I think if possible, we could have more chance to write modified lesson plans in this course.

      Delete
  7. Hey Wei, I liked that fact that you mentioned to take account for student’s proficiency levels. Teachers should acknowledge the students background, culture and sociopolitical constructs of the students so that they can teach them in the most efficient way. The use of differentiation is very key when it comes to teaching ELL students, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wei!
    I really like that your reflection stated that in the beginning you felt that your teaching philosophy was to have the students practice and that you now have had a change in opinion due to the content from this class. It is too true that teaching needs to be individualized and tailored to individual students.
    I also like that this class caused you to really think about what the research articles were saying. We do, as teachers, need to support one another when planning lessons so that we can learn as much as possible about all of the teaching methods to help our students with all means possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cece. After I learned teaching methods in this course, I think it can help me to understand how to teach ELLs in different ways. As a future teacher, I learned that teachers also need to have different roles in the classroom. The different role can help me to grow comfortable and confident in teaching.

      Delete