Reflection
Before I did this interview, I found that it is not easy to write the ten questions. I needed to review what we learned before about ESL. Since I used to study in adult ESL classrooms, I wanted to interview an ESL teacher who teaches adult ESL. Mr. Wang is an ESL teacher in the University of St. Thomas Literacy ESL Program. When we recorded the video, he said the wrong school he worked at. Concerned students and friends of the University of St. Thomas created literacy Initiative For Today in February of 1991. It is one of the few English as a Second Language (ESL) programs available on weekends. They force on teaching students in how to communicate with other English speakers. During our interview, I learned that to teach adults is different with children. Adults need for sensory input can rely a little more on their imaginations (Brown & Lee, 2015, p.117). Mr. Wang mentioned that he prepared lots of pictures and videos for them understanding English meaning. In his lesson plan, I learned that to bring own life experiences could help students to communicate more in English. According to our textbook, adults bring life experiences to the classroom, which gives them background schemata as a backdrop for the situations introduced in a curriculum (Brown & Lee, 2015, p.117).
Cited
Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (2015). Teaching by principles: an interactive approach to language pedagogy (4th ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Longman.
No comments:
Post a Comment